House Key

What Property Insurance Normally Covers

House insurance covers the loss of your home and belongings through theft, fire and other events. Coverage will vary from one policy to the next however, in general terms, a plan will provide cover for all or part of the cost involved when your property or belongings are stolen, damaged or destroyed.

It is impossible to list precisely what will be covered by your insurance plan here as this will depend upon the insurance firm selected and the conditions of your particular plan. Just about all plans will however give cover for some or all of the following events:


  • Fire
  • Smoke
  • Ice, snow, or sleet weighing on vehicles
  • Freezing of plumbing
  • Heating system malfunction
  • Volcano
  • Lightning
  • Flooding due to plumbing overflow
  • Windstorm
  • Theft, including check forgery and counterfeit currency
  • Power surges
  • Unauthorized use of credit cards
  • Hail
  • Vandalism
  • Explosion
  • Riot
  • Falling objects
  • Hot water heater bursting

There are a number of different types of home insurance plan, usually called a ‘form’ and the most commonly available forms are:

The Dwelling Fire Form

This particular sort of home insurance plan provides cover for merely your dwelling and does not offer cover for your personal belongings. As well, it does not give cover for your personal liability. As its name might suggest it only offers cover for limited events which ordinarily extend to fire, smoke, hail, windstorm, lightening, explosion, vehicles and civil unrest.

The Basic Form

This sort of home insurance extends your cover to take in the theft of your personal belongings and also vandalism.

The Modified Coverage Form

The modified coverage form provides cover which is identical to that provided under the basic form but this type of cover is applied to older properties where rebuilding costs are greater than the market value of the property.

The Broad Form

The broad form of home insurance extends cover beyond that seen in the basic form to include damage caused by falling trees and other objects; damages caused by the weight of snow, ice and sleet and the freezing, rupturing or sudden accidental overflow of a air conditioning, heating, plumbing or fire sprinkler system or another household appliance.


The Special Form

The special form is the most popular form of home insurance and covers you against all hazards unless they are excluded specifically within the conditions of the plan. Risks which are commonly excluded include earthquake, flood, war and nuclear accident.

As well as the forms of home insurance listed here there is also the tenants form insurance for renters and the condominium unit owners form for owners and occupiers of condominiums. In addition, owners of townhouses can purchase an individual plan or might be able to take cover from an association master plan. Lastly, in the majority of states owners of mobile homes whose home has wheels and does not sit on a permanent foundation will have to purchase auto insurance rather than home insurance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *